experiential education within the format of externships and internships is a partnership between an employer and an educational institution to benefit the student’s learning beyond the classroom.
hear from carthage students about their internship experiences.
Externships typically last for a short duration of time, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Externships often take the form of job shadowing in a variety of positions within the same company. Typically externships are unpaid and are not credit-bearing experiences.2020欧洲杯体育备用网址
Benefits of an Externship
- Explore careers within a career field
- Learn more about a particular company
- Gain insight into industry trends
- Network with professionals in the field
An internship is a formal opportunity for students to integrate classroom learning with practical experience in the workplace. Interns generally enjoy real-work projects, close supervision and mentoring, and the opportunity to learn more about a particular industry and organization.
Internship experience is highly recommended in this competitive marketplace. Internships usually last a semester, with students generally working part time in the spring or fall, or part time or full time in the summer. Academic credit may be earned. Please visit Career Services for more information on how to receive credit for a future internship.2020欧洲杯体育备用网址
Benefits of an Internship
- Apply classroom knowledge and theory to real-world work situations
- Learn more about a particular industry, field, and employer
- Develop professional work habits for post-graduation employment
- Enhance and strengthen your resume
- Make professional connections for future employment opportunities
- Internship Interest Form
Specialized Internship Program
Smeds Executive Internship Program
The Smeds Executive Internship Program is a summer internship program that allows Carthage students to apply their coursework in real-world settings, and enables companies and organizations to employ students for real-work projects while evaluating them as potential employees. Students are nominated by faculty for the program and must be juniors with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2. Students of all majors are welcome. Smeds Executive Interns are typically paid by the companies/organizations and earn a stipend from funds earmarked by the program’s benefactor, Edward Smeds ’57, who chaired the Carthage Board of Trustees from 1997 to 2011. Hiring decisions are made by the employers.
TARBLE and other alumni donor internship Program
in collaboration with the tarble family foundation and alumni donors john johnson (’98) and chris king (’97), the summer internship gift will provide an endowment to support experiential learning, including internships. these gifts are available to students in all majors at sophomore level and above. students secure internships on their own and are paid an hourly wage by the gift throughout the semester. the gift provides substantial support up to $2,000 for students who are working in unpaid or underpaid internships that closely match their major. all internships are available for academic credit.
External Internship Opportunities
Disney professional internships
Interested in the ? Contact Career Services2020欧洲杯体育备用网址 or make an appointment with a member of the Career Services staff for more information.
Resources for Students
2020欧洲杯体育备用网址 in order to obtain a valuable internship experience, students need a well-formulated strategy. the process of obtaining an internship does not end when a resume is submitted; it requires several activities that should begin several months in advance of an anticipated start date. students should meet with a member of career services to discuss their internship goals and develop a strategy to meet them. the following activities are universal to all job and internship searches:
- Customize your resume and cover letter for the position to which you are applying.
- Research companies and organizations.
- Use to identity internship opportunities and complete online applications.
- Network with alumni, faculty, and other professionals.
- Prepare for interviews by participating in mock interview sessions at Career Services.
- Build a LinkedIn profile to stay connected with your professional network, apply for jobs and internships, and research companies and organizations. .
- Be patient and resilient throughout your search.